Meet Mary Salisbury
Certified Divorce Financial Analyst
I started The Right Divorce Solution because when I used to be a financial advisor, I found that my divorced clients hadn’t received the financial guidance they needed in their divorce…. That’s a problem because divorce is mostly a financial settlement. People assume that they will get financial guidance in their divorce from an attorney and forget that attorneys are not financial experts. I have since changed my practice to solely help people get through divorce a better way, the right way, and started The Right Divorce Solution.
What is a CDFA?
A Certified Divorce Financial Analyst is a specialized financial planner that focuses on you and your family and the effects that a divorce will have now and in the future. As a CDFA, I can benefit you by:
- Being an objective viewpoint during an emotional process.
- Helping you understand the financial feasibility of a proposed settlement.
- Helping you becoming better prepared to take charge of your financial future.
- Helping you have a clearer understanding of financial considerations in order to make informed, educated decisions regarding issues such as: Can I/Should I keep the house? What are the pros and cons of exchanging certain assets (i.e., trading the pension for other types of retirements accounts)? Will I be able to support myself when spousal/child support ends?
Some of the work that I do includes (but is not limited to):
- Educating you on financial matters relating to divorce.
- Helping with determining the short and long-term financial impact of proposed settlements.
- Creating personalized reports and graphs that illustrate various property division scenarios, cash flow projections, support amounts, etc.
- Helping address specific challenges, such as loss of health, life or disability coverage and retirement plan benefits.
- Evaluating complex assets (i.e., stock options, deferred compensation, pensions, etc.) to help you develop a better understanding of how they are factored into the divorce settlement.
- Explaining divorce-related tax considerations and implications.
- Offering valuable financial insight into the pro’s and con’s of different settlement proposals.
I can also help you understand the financial issues of…
- Separate vs. marital property.
- Retirement and pensions.
- Splitting the house.
- Valuing and dividing property.
- Spousal support and child support.
- Tax problems, tax solutions and avoiding tax pitfalls.